clamav

Ivan Mirisola ivan at NUCCI.COM.BR
Thu Jan 9 20:49:28 GMT 2003

Hi List,

It's allways good news to hear about people using clamav. I am using it
for a while with no problems. I use clamav-0.54-2, an RPM compilation
built under the PLD distribution (www.pld.org.pl), on a Red-Hat
compatible distribution called Conectiva Linux 8.0 (a brazilian
distributor). It should install just fine on any Red Hat System.

I had tested clamav with a series o viruses I found on the net and it
went pretty well - cought all of them. All except one I don't recall the
name. But it was a mistake made on the virus database by the
OpenAntiVirus Project people. Since then they fixed the database and
clamav started to catch that virus. Anyway, the virus was an old one and
it was not really spreading arround.

I dont't use any other anti-virus software since its not really an area
I am responsible for. I think people should be well prepared not to get
their systems infected as new viruses are appear faster than their vacines.

I am not really worried about viruses anymore as MailScanner take it to
a next level of security. No more EXE ou double extention files go
through my system and viruses get stopped before the anti-virus system
kicks in action.

In fact, I don't see a real reason why this software should be treated
as UNSUPPORTED by MailScanner.
Anyone has any comments about this?

Regards
---