Attachments are not scanned - still is not rejecting denied extensions like .exe

Magda Hewryk MHewryk at SYMCOR.COM
Wed Jan 8 21:18:06 GMT 2003

It makes sense,  this file is not an attachment.   Thank you!

Magda Hewryk
--------------------------------
Mid-Range Systems
RSP:   905-273-1637
CELL:   416-948-4427

                    "Spicer, Kevin"
                    <Kevin.Spicer at BMRB        To:     MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
                    .CO.UK>                   cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: Attachments are not scanned  - still is not
                    MailScanner               rejecting denied               extensions like .exe
                    mailing list
                    <MAILSCANNER at JISCM
                    AIL.AC.UK>

                    01/08/2003 04:13
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    MailScanner
                    mailing list

> #   mail -v mhewryk -s "report No. 5" < f-prot.exe

I don't know what you get on your system, but I would guess you get what I
do - an email full of binary junk in the body.  Since this puts the
contents of the exe file in the body of the mail, not encoded as an
attachment mailscanner will not block it - because no attachment is present
for it to block.  I'm not sure how/if you can send non-text attachements
using the mail command - you can with pine (which I use when I'm not at the
console) or flip to a GUI and use just about any GUI mail client.