Attachments are not scanned - still is not rejecting denied extensions like .exe

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Jan 8 21:13:22 GMT 2003

> #   mail -v mhewryk -s "report No. 5" < f-prot.exe

I don't know what you get on your system, but I would guess you get what I do - an email full of binary junk in the body.  Since this puts the contents of the exe file in the body of the mail, not encoded as an attachment mailscanner will not block it - because no attachment is present for it to block.  I'm not sure how/if you can send non-text attachements using the mail command - you can with pine (which I use when I'm not at the console) or flip to a GUI and use just about any GUI mail client.