MailScanner causing server to crash

Gerben Welter gerben at BREKELMANS.COM
Tue Jan 7 21:29:02 GMT 2003

Hi.

A few months ago I had a similar problem. Our Linux proxy server which had
been up for over 7 months started to reset spontaneously . At first it
would happen only once in a few days. At the end the box wouldn't last
longer than a few hours. I knew I didn't change anything to the software
that would explain the change in stability. I began to suspect hardware
failure due to heat problems (bad cpufan e.g.) Once the server was opened I
saw the problem: the capacitors surrounding the cpu looked like they were
going to burst or were already leaking. That probably made the powersupply
to the cpu unstable. The motherboard was replaced and the server has been
rock solid again.

Once I saw the capacitors I remembered reading somewhere that lots of
motherboard manufacturers had bought batches of bad capacitors and a lot of
motherboards starting to get returned.

So my advice is to check your server hardware for obvious signs of degradation.

Gerben.