SpamAssassin timeout

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Tue Jan 7 12:56:53 GMT 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, InvictaNet Customer Support wrote:

> Since mid afternoon yesterday, spamassassin has timed out every time. I have
> tried increasing the timeout period to 30 seconds but that didn't help.
>
> Where can I find information on what is causing the timeout? - Mailscanner
> itself doesn't seem to have a problem and viruses are being detected ok.

Ah!  Interesting.

Around 11:00 GMT/UT yesterday (Mon 6th Jan), I noticed our MailScanner
inbound queue similarly started piling up and not clearing.  Likewise we
got SpamAssassin timeouts and I ended up inserting "skip_rbl_checks 1"
into "spam.assassin.prefs.conf" which seemed to avoid the immediate
problem.

As far as I know there were no local changes coincident with this (it had
been running happily since well before the Christmas holiday).

We are:
  Redhat 7.3
  MailScanner: 4.05-3
  SpamAssassin 2.43
  configuration policy: as delivered, change as little as possible
  ~25,000 emails per day

Is there someone on this list who knows the murky depths of SpamAssassin
and their interaction with MailScanner?  (I don't!)  My suspicion is that
some RBL check, called from SpamAssassin, is in trouble, and that
SpamAssassin's timeouts (either internally or as guided somehow by
MailScanner) are not behaving properly.