*.otf cause Windows to restart

Knutzen, Heinz (DZ-SH) Heinz.Knutzen at DZSH.DE
Tue Jan 7 13:08:51 GMT 2003

It seems to be possible to crash w2k and XP by opening special
*.otf files.
We will block these files using filename.rules.conf.

>From bugtraq http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/305382

Subject:  Opentype font file causes Windows to restart.

Problem
-------
The attached OpenType font file will cause Windows to restart
immediately when the file is opened by the default viewer (fontview).
I doubt anyone would suspect a "harmless" little font file of being
able to cause such a thing to happen!

Software affected
It has been tested on both Windows 2000 and Windows XP with exactly
the same result -- an immediate restart.  Other versions of Windows
are untested.

Fix
---
No fix known.