MailScanner causing server to crash

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Mon Jan 6 00:34:55 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 16:48, Bill Omer wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 17:31, Jim Levie wrote:
> > >
> > I take it that you've already examined the logs to see if anything
> > interesting was logged before the reboot?
>
> I try to monitor the logs as much as possible, but I've yet to see
> anything related to this problem.

I figured as much...

> > Is the system up to date w/respect to the 8.0 errata? I did see some
> > spontaneous reboots on a dual processor 8.0 box before the first or
> > second round of errata was made available. I keep the boxes up to data
> > and haven't see anything like that since.

What about the RedHat updates for 8.0? Are they in place?

> > What is the typical system load? How much memory is installed?
>
> With MailScanner running, around 1.5.  With only sendmail with
> spamass-milter running, around 0.5.

System load doesn't sound like it is you problem. A load average of 1.5
is pretty much nothing. Now if it was running 15-20 that might be cause
for concern.

> There's a gig of ram installed (I earlier said a gig and a half, I was
> mistaken).  Quad Xeon 500MHz cpu's.

That should be plenty of memory for a mail server/scanner unless there
are other demands on RAM. How much swap space is typically in use?

> Again, without MailScanner running, I've been able to get over a week of
> uptime.  With it running, it never goes more than a day or two.  And
> that is with Virus Scanner = no and Spam Checks = no.

MailScanner bangs on the disk quite a bit as compared to just
sendmail/procmail. My suspicion is that the fault is associated with the
disk subsystem activity.

Are the system and RAID controller BIOS versions current?
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed
RedHat.