MailScanner causing server to crash

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Sun Jan 5 23:31:42 GMT 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 16:06, Bill Omer wrote:
> I do have a console on the machine, but the machine doesn't sit there
> dead, it power-cycles it's self.  That makes me want to believe that
> it's not a kernel panic.

I take it that you've already examined the logs to see if anything
interesting was logged before the reboot?

Is the system up to date w/respect to the 8.0 errata? I did see some
spontaneous reboots on a dual processor 8.0 box before the first or
second round of errata was made available. I keep the boxes up to data
and haven't see anything like that since.

> I'm going to try the version 3 series of mailscanner and see what kind
> of results I get with that.  Since it doesn't fork (as I understand it)
> it may not create such a load to cause the machine to reboot.

System load, per se, won't cause the reboot. However, if there's
something flaky in the hardware configuration a high system load is more
likely to expose the flaw.

What is the typical system load? How much memory is installed?
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed
RedHat.