Centralized aliases

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Jan 2 16:12:22 GMT 2003

> One minor annoyance is that if the aliases (as well as every
> other valid
> email address) are not defined on the proxy then the mail is
> rejected.  So,
> all the email IDs and aliases have to be on the proxy.  But
> if any ID or
> alias is not ALSO defined on the mail server then mail sent
> from the LAN to
> that ID tends to bounce since the mail server (correctly)
> thinks the mail is
> destined to itself but does not find the ID or alias.  So,
> user IDs and
> aliases need to be defined twice, identically, in both the
> server and alias.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I can't see why you need to duplicate your aliases - unless your mailscanner box isn't set up to relay for your domain.  I use mailscanner in front of an exchange box and my mailscanner box doesn't know any of my users names.