Increased startup time of sweep on Linux/(Unix?) systems

David Sullivan David.Sullivan at BARNET.AC.UK
Tue Feb 25 11:35:54 GMT 2003

I've just upgraded sophos to version 3.67 and the time taken to spawn
the sweep executable has gone up from about a second and a half to
about 8 seconds.

Obviously this has had an impact on each mailscanner batch which are
now taking about 10 seconds to scan instead of the 2 seconds they
were previously. Not a huge issue with our mail load but it's a bit
irritating and might be a larger issue for others.

3.67 is the first default (not NSV) version to ship with the separate
virus identity files and I was wondering if other people are seeing
this behaviour or saw it with the previous couple of NSV versions.

I've tried a "sophos style" install using the install.sh that comes
with it on another machine and the startup time is about the same (8
seconds).
I've only been able to test this on Linux since that's all we have
here.

Anyone else got any bright ideas before/if I call sophos technical
support?

David.
This communication may contain privileged or confidential information which
is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that you may not distribute or use this
communication or the information it contains.  If this e-mail has reached you
in error, please delete it and any attachment.

Internet communications are not secure and Barnet College does not accept
legal responsibility for the content of this message.  Any views or opinions
expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Barnet College.

Please note that Barnet College reserves the right to monitor the
source/destinations of all incoming or outgoing e-mail communications.