Rules for Virus Scanning

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 21 22:56:45 GMT 2003

At 21:06 21/02/2003, you wrote:
>Hello All
>
>I have recentley added a rule to the mailscanner config file telling it
>that if mail comes from a certain IP address to not bother scanning it.
>Upon checking the mail logs I have noticed the following error:
>     Config Error: Cannot match against  destination IP address when
>     resolving configuration option  "virusscan"
>
>The mailscanner config file looks like this:
>     Virus Scanning = /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/viruscan.rules
>
>The rules file contains the following:
>
>FromTo: 12.129.199.61   no
>FromTo: 63.161.60.29    no
>FromTo: 63.161.60.61    no
>FromTo: 63.161.60.93    no
>FromTo: 63.211.220.125  no
>FromTo: 216.35.189.221  no
>FromTo: 216.148.222.61  no
>FromTo: *@pris.ca       yes
>FromTo: *@pris.bc.ca    yes
>
>When I don't use a ruleset, everything appears to work fine and I don't
>receive any errors. However I need the ruleset to prevent the
>Mailscanner from scanning the same piece of mail twice.

You cannot specify an IP address when matching "To" addresses. You won't
know what IP address the message is sent to until it has actually been
delivered, by which time it's too late.

So when specifying IP addresses in rules, you can only use "From:".

>Another error I have noticed which does not have anything to do with the
>
>above is the following:
>     Global symbol "$file" requires explicit package name at (eval 496)
>     line 1, <GEN1720> chunk 3.

It looks like whoever wrote the Danish (dk) translations used "$file"
instead of "$filename" in 4 of the files. They are
         /etc/MailScanner/reports/dk/deleted.filename.message.txt
         /etc/MailScanner/reports/dk/deleted.virus.message.txt
         /etc/MailScanner/reports/dk/stored.filename.message.txt
         /etc/MailScanner/reports/dk/stored.virus.message.txt
This will be fixed in the next release.

--
Julian Field