Sophos related questions...

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 19 18:24:21 GMT 2003

At 17:44 19/02/2003, you wrote:
>1) Is there any way of identifying Sophos as being 'well out of date',
>and firing off a warning 'Your AV scanner is really old and creaky' sort
>of message
>as part of MS?

I will take a look at that one. The updater may already be able to do this.
I just need to find an out-of-date copy
:-(

>2) When I first started to investigate properly, 'sweep' wouldn't run
>because it couldn't find vdl.dat because /usr/local/Sophos/lib wasn't
>referenced in /etc/ld.so.conf, and equally /usr/local/Sophos/bin still isn't
>in my $PATH... presumably MS sidesteps both of these configuration errors
>on my part?

MailScanner uses its "sophos-wrapper" script which solves all these
problems. Run sophos-wrapper instead of sweep.

>3) /usr/local/Sophos has about 129 '363.200302181701'
>type directories... I'm presuming these are part of the autoupdate process,
>but does their existence show it isn't updating correctly, and when can I
>safely tidy them up
>and through them away? (from cron?)

The "ide" directory is actually a soft-link to the latest numbered
directory. Don't delete the latest one! The other ones should be removed by
the sophos-autoupdate script anyway, I am interested to know why it isn't...
--
Julian Field