Sophos related questions...

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Wed Feb 19 17:44:59 GMT 2003

Hello all...

Just a few quickies about Sophos in conjunction with MS.

I was experiencing the 'corrupt files' issue, applied Julian's patches,
and was then still confused to find some messages/attachments being
labelled as 'corrupt'.

It was at that point I noticed I was still running Sophos 3.63, when
I'd assumed I'd put 3.66 on earlier this month...

Two questions...

1) Is there any way of identifying Sophos as being 'well out of date',
and firing off a warning 'Your AV scanner is really old and creaky' sort of message
as part of MS?

2) When I first started to investigate properly, 'sweep' wouldn't run
because it couldn't find vdl.dat because /usr/local/Sophos/lib wasn't
referenced in /etc/ld.so.conf, and equally /usr/local/Sophos/bin still isn't
in my $PATH... presumably MS sidesteps both of these configuration errors on my part?

3) /usr/local/Sophos has about 129 '363.200302181701'
type directories... I'm presuming these are part of the autoupdate process,
but does their existence show it isn't updating correctly, and when can I safely tidy them up
and through them away? (from cron?)