MailScanner continously respawns without processing

Paul Hansen phvt at EMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 14 19:27:25 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have narrowed the problem down to MailScanner dying silently during
MailScanner::SA::initialise().

I started going through bin/MailScanner, first in ForkDaemon() then
WorkForHours() where I added several new InfoLog() calls. With this
additional information I went back to etc/MailScanner.conf and set Spam
Checks and Use SpamAssassin to no. Now MailScanner appears to be running
nicely and it processed my queued message.

So--now it's time to dig into why the SpamAssassin interface isn't
working...I do have SA 2.44 and the test message in the SA documentation
worked fine. Any tips there would be greatly appreciated.

For the future, it seems clear that more error trapping is needed during
these initialization steps--during which there is currently no output. I
see a bunch of commented-out STDERR printouts that would be great to
change to "if($Debug)...". Here's what my MailScanner spits out now (so
at least I know "I got this far..."):

Feb 14 14:01:43 granite MailScanner[27858]: Finished reading
/opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Feb 14 14:01:43 granite MailScanner[27858]: Finished checking Queues
Feb 14 14:01:43 granite MailScanner[27858]: Finished initialising
MessageBatch
Feb 14 14:01:43 granite MailScanner[27858]: Finished initialising SA
Feb 14 14:01:43 granite MailScanner[27858]: Finished initialising TNEF
Feb 14 14:01:43 granite MailScanner[27858]: Finished initialising
Sendmail

Thanks!
Paul