MailScanner continously respawns without processing

Lindsay Snider lindsay at pa.net
Fri Feb 14 19:19:22 GMT 2003

Hey Paul,
I apologize, I read your email wrong thinking that you didn't have any mail
sitting in mqueue.in.  Given that, I might have a very similar problem of
which I have not yet resolved.

We upgraded our mailservers running mailscanner 4.12-2 from 4.11-1.  In our
conf, we have changed the locations of the spool directories.  We also run
mailscanner as an unprivileged user.

On just one of the servers, the upgrade did not go so well and the new
mailscanner will not start.  We too get the <defunct> mailscanners.  I
debugged the code down to a chdir command in Sendmail.pm line 740.  It seems
to lock up w/ no error messages or graceful dieing.  The paths that it is
trying to change to exist.  I can su - mailscanneruser and switch to the
directories just fine so permissions seem fine.  I also wrote a mini setuid
script which, dropped to our mailscanneruser and changed to the directory
line 740 was having problems with, and that worked as well.  If we run
mailscanner as root, it works fine.  If your problem is similar, maybe try
running as root just to see?  I'm thinking we might have a buggy setuid
perl....?

More info:
The servers that did work were RH8.0 whereas the server that did not was 7.3
RH7.3 box has perl 5.6.1
RH8.0 boxes have perl 5.8.0

Curious to what you find,
Lindsay