Sophos and Corrupt Files (belated response)

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Thu Feb 13 14:30:39 GMT 2003

Hello all...

I'll start off with saying that we primarily run Amavis with Postfix here,
but are doing some tests with MailScanner at the moment...

Just a thing I noted from a recent discussion about amavis (which has split
into three forks, and there is presently interesting arguing going on):

| I'm using amavisd-new with Sophos Sweep as the scanner. Since sweep can
| not scan inside password protected MS-Excel or MS-Word files, it returns a
| code 2, causing amavisd to fail. It lets the parts in /var/amavis and the
| e-mail remains in the defer queue of the MTA (postfix, in this case). But
| mail is not delivered (!). Is there any way to avoid this?, another
| scanner?.

>Add status code 2 along with 0 to the success 'if' branch
>(file ./amavis/av/sophos), or upgrade to amavisd-new-20021227-p2.

So the basic bottom line is that sweep returns an error code of 2, 'corrupt file',
and both MailScanner and amavis have had to work around this.

I've seen about 5 messages (a sudden burst) labelled as 'corrupt' today
on our test MailScanner (Sophos 3.66 & McAffee) box... are the patches
going to appear in a future MS release that might happen any time soon?