Blacklist individual addresses

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue Feb 11 15:42:03 GMT 2003

> Hmmm, that's not realy what I want. Who knows what other junk
> there may
> be on the infected machine. I would like to block certain addresses
> which I find sending us virusses regularly. They receive a
> message that
> they have been blacklisted for my domain and need to contact the
> administrator should they want to use that address again to
> send us mail
> after they have cleaned the machine(s). It is basically to
> spare me some
> alerts.

I think that's maybe not a good idea, given the number of viruses forging sender addresses these days you're likely to end up excluding genuine messages from people who are not infected - meaning that getting out of your blacklist is entirely out of their control.  If you are only worried about reducing the number of alerts why not just set up a rule in your mail client to move those messages you are not interested in to a different repository (/dev/null ?!).  Also if you blacklist them you need to make sure they can still email you to tell you they are now clean - and you're also assuming that they know what they are doing & will be able to clean their machine to your satisfaction...

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.