Mailscanner setup (sendmail start script)

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Dec 30 16:09:06 GMT 2003

Don't modify the sendmail script.  You'll find a MailScanner script in the
/etc/init.d directory with all the right pixie dust already in it.  As root,
do:

        chkconfig sendmail off  (or 'chkconfig postfix off' if one is
                                        running that instead of sendmail -
it
                                        being the current SuSE default MTA)
then:
        chkconfig MailScanner on

That will turn off the default sendmail script at startup, and configure
MailScanner to start.

It's a bit confusing at first.  With different distros doing things
different ways it almost begs for a seperate install instruction page for
each but that would be pretty tedious and hard to maintain.  Guess that's
the beauty of the mailing list.

There's more pieces to the puzzle in /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner.  Look in
there, make sure the MTA is set to sendmail (it defaults to postfix), and
try again...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500