Mailscanner setup (sendmail start script)

Wilfred Bolten Wilfred.Bolten at TOMMY-EUROPE.COM
Tue Dec 30 10:08:34 GMT 2003

Hi,

Same problem here. SuseLinux 9 with sendmail. Even when you change the line mentioned at the page and restart sendmail the scanner does not seem to be present. Havent been able to figure this out yet.

WB

-----Original Message-----
From: Al Cooper [mailto:alc at TLYNX.COM]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 11:39 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Mailscanner setup (sendmail start script)

I am setting up mailscanner on a Redhat 9 box.  I am following the
instructions provided by Julian Field at the following link:
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/sendmail.shtml

I am at the point of modifying the sendmail start script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d.  The instructions are as follows:

"Currently, your copy of sendmail will be started by a script such as
/etc/init.d/mail or /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail. Somewhere in this script will
be the command to start sendmail itself. This should look like this:

    sendmail -bd -q15m

You should change this to the following two lines:

sendmail -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly -OQueueDirecto
ry=/var/spool/mqueue.in
    sendmail -q15m"

Here is the "start" section of my sendmail start script

start() {
        # Start daemons.

        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        /usr/bin/newaliases > /dev/null 2>&1
        if test -x /usr/bin/make -a -f /etc/mail/Makefile ; then
          make all -C /etc/mail -s
        else
          for i in virtusertable access domaintable mailertable ; do
            if [ -f /etc/mail/$i ] ; then
                makemap hash /etc/mail/$i < /etc/mail/$i
            fi
          done
        fi
        daemon /usr/sbin/sendmail $([ "x$DAEMON" = xyes ] && echo -bd) \
                                $([ -n "$QUEUE" ] && echo -q$QUEUE)
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sendmail

        if ! test -f /var/run/sm-client.pid ; then
        echo -n $"Starting sm-client: "
        touch /var/run/sm-client.pid
        chown smmsp:smmsp /var/run/sm-client.pid
        daemon --check sm-client /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac \
                                -q$SMQUEUE
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/sm-client
        fi

        return $RETVAL
}

I am not a programmer.  Can someone help me modify my start script or point
me to a more Redhat friendly install guide?

Thanks,

Al Cooper

Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.
Please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error.

Security Warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium.
We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus.
We advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.