I'm trying to get MailScanner to work

Billy Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Mon Dec 22 21:15:45 GMT 2003

Hello Everyone,
I have tried plenty o things including reading all that I could find
without going insaine :).  Pleae help, here are the details.

Situation wanted: To have the MailScanner machine sit in front of the
exchange machine to do the spam filtering and then relay it to the exchange
server.  (typical setup)

My knowledge leve: Good at windows, not so good at Linux.

There is a machine currently setup to do that but I screwed it up some
how.  The mail will go through the MailScanner machine and pass it to the
Exchange server but will not process any spam rules, and send mail won't
start unless I tell it to manuall.

Anyway, new machine, new install of Red Hat 9 GUI with sendmail and
spamassassin off the cd's.

- I downloaded MailScanner 4.25.14
- I tried these instructions:
   http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/linux.shtml
   http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/other.shtml
   http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/faq.shtml
   http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/1.html
and FAQ's and such.  I'm sure that I have just missed something some where
and hopefully someone can point it out to me.  I don't even know how to go
about testing to see if the first step was done right.

Here are some conflicts or differences that I have seen or made me confused
on:
- does the ./install.sh make the mqueue.in folder?  My experience it didn't
and I tried making it manually via somewhere in the instructions above.
- I'm still a little confused on the path of the mail.  Is it mqueue,
mqueue.in then spamassassin and so on?

Please any help on this is greatly appreciated on where to start and go.