Outgoing mail

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Dec 22 17:12:36 GMT 2003

Greetings -

Can I ask a bit of a naive question about rulesets that's arisen in my mind
after Martins asked this...

--On Monday, December 22, 2003 5:21 pm +0200 Martins Smilga
<smilga at MIKROTIK.COM> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How can I set to not check with spam and antivirus outgoing mails?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martins

Mike answered with this...

--On Monday, December 22, 2003 9:55 am -0600 Mike Kercher
<mike at CAMAROSS.NET> wrote:

> You need to use a ruleset for this:
>
> From:  *@yourdomain.org         no
> FromTo: default         yes

...but in a previous message explained that MailScanner does its checks
using:
    * the SMTP "MAIL FROM" details
    * the SMTP "RCPT TO" details
    * the IP address of the transmitting server

So doesn't this man that an entry of the form

    From:  *@yourdomain.org         no

is a little unsafe?  In particular if the message is arriving from an
offsite machine which has forged the MAIL FROM envelope information to be
an address within your domain ("xxx at yourdomain.org") then the above rule
means it won't get scanned for viruses or spamminess?  Wouldn't it be
better to use a rule to skip the scan only if the IP address of the sending
server is within your netblock of machines?

Festive Cheers,

Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *