MailScanner and SA Config Bug

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Mon Dec 15 23:55:55 GMT 2003

The solution to the problem below is to also define
"site_rules_filename" when creating the Mail::SpamAssassin object.  I
added
    $settings{site_rules_filename} = "/etc/mail/spamassassin";
to the SA.pm in the initialise subroutine.

What this will do is allow MailScanner to read all the rules from
/etc/mail/spamassassin.   Of cource since the spam.assassin.prefs.conf
is being defined as the user_prefs, it's the last rules read in and will
trump any settings/rules from the site rules.

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Rose, Bobby
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 10:17 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: MailScanner and SA Config

 I don't think this was realized until now but since MailScanner calls
SA with the specified config file option, then SA doesn't read all the
.cf files in /etc/mail/spamassassin  I only found out recently on the SA
lists that SA would do this.  SA will read in every cf file located
there.  The benefit is that you don't have to keep modifying one file
for example using the frequently updated evil rules found on the SA
custom rule emporium
http://www.merchantsoverseas.com/wwwroot/gorilla/sa_rules.htm

Can the next Mailscanner have the ability to specify a file or path or
turn off the sa conf option?

-=Bobby