graceful shutdown

Robin M. robin at PRIMUS.CA
Sat Dec 13 17:49:12 GMT 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Stephen Swaney wrote:
> > If I do
> > kill `/usr/sbin/check_mailscanner`
> > will this cause a problem with mail that it is currently working on ?
>
> This will not work. Mail will still be received but since MailScanner is not
> running, this mail will just pile up in the incoming mail queue. It will not
> be processed, delivered or relayed.

Thats ok I have a separate script for the postfix in and out, and one just
for MailScanner. I do not have a redhat/suse linux so I want to just issue
the command that will gracefully stop just MailScanner. Having the queue
pile up is not a concern but I just do not want MailScanner to be
interuppted in the middle of processing a message and then possibly delete
or corrupt it.

Looking through the rpm I see the line
killproc MailScanner -15

killproc is a redhat/suse function and it appears that it will basically
do

kill -15 `/usr/sbin/check_mailscanner`

as long as MailScanner is running the output of
/usr/sbin/check_mailscanner is to print out the pids.