barracudanetworks devices

Ryan Finnesey ryan.finnesey at CORPDSG.COM
Fri Dec 12 05:31:59 GMT 2003

What does Mailscanner Enterprise Edition do that Basic can not do?

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Tristan Rhodes
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 1:54 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: barracudanetworks devices

These products do scan for viruses.  It looks like they even use two
anti-virus engines...

Look at the flowchart at the bottom of this page...
http://www.barracudanetworks.com/products.php

I agree, Mailscanner and its numerous helper applications can attain the
same functionality.  It would be nice if all the applications were
bundled up in a single package, though.

Perhaps Mailscanner Enterprise Edition from Fortress will provide this
capability when it is released???

On a side note, Mailscanner Basic Edition is listed in Network World
Fusion's Anti-spam buyers guide.  Apparently it takes a commercial
entity to be listed in this guide. :(   -  (Mailscanner Basic Edition is
free)  :)
http://www.nwfusion.com/bg/2003/spam/details.jsp?_tablename=antispam&nam
e='MailScanner+Basic+Edition'

Also found a reference to Mailscanner Basic Edition on the SpamHelp.org
website.
http://www.spamhelp.org/software/software.php?cat=3

I look forward to future Mailscanner-based products created by Fortress.

Tristan Rhodes

On Thursday 11 December 2003 5:44 pm, Errol Neal wrote:

> Anybody heard of these devices?
>
> http://www.barracudanetworks.com/products_key_features.php
>
> I wonder how they stack up to MailScanner.

Reading from the features on their website:

> Blacklisting of websites & domains

If you can still find a working DNS RBL, MailScanner will do this.

> Keyword scanning of emails

Use the new MCP and MailScanner will do this (as well as the default
keyword/phrase checking which SpamAssassin does)

> Checksum technology

Razor, Pyzor, DCC

> Message authenticity checking

MTA reverse MX lookup.

> Blacklists and Whitelists

MailScanner does these.

> Rate controls

I seem to recall there's a new feature in MailScanner for this, even if
you're
not already doing it in sendmail.

> File type attachment blocking

MailScanner does this (I bet Barrauda does it by file extension only,
not by
file content type as well :)

I think it's interesting that they're offering an anti-spam solution
without
any mention of anti-virus - seems a strange omission?

Antony.

--
In science, one tries to tell people
in such a way as to be understood by everyone

In poetry, it is the exact opposite.

 - Paul Dirac

                                                     Please reply to the
list;