Updating HTML::Parser and ExtUtils::MakeMaker

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Thu Dec 11 15:44:13 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a new system around MailScanner,
installing Razor, DCC, SpamAssassin, MailScanner, etc. and all of the
appropriate perl modules.

I started off my installing MailScanner using the install script to make
sure I get all of the appropriate perl modules and patches.

The system is fully functional, but I noticed that the SpamAssassin 2.6x
documentation recommends HTML::Parser > 3.29 and ExtUtils::MakeMaker >
6.16. To satisfy this recommendation, I used CPAN to update these
modules to versions 3.34 and 6.21 respectively. Things still appear to
work fine, but I have a few questions after the fact:

* I'm assuming MailScanner doesn't have compatibility problems with the
latest versions of these modules? HTML::Parser 3.26 is included with
MailScanner and ExtUtils::MakeMaker was updated to version 6.05 during
the install process. Obviously, I'm a few iterations beyond these
versions and wanted to make sure I'm not introducing any potential
issues.

* After updating, I remembered that HTML::Parser was installed via rpm.
I did not remove this rpm before updating the module. Will this cause
any problems?

Nathan