Effort to manage MailScanner

Ken Anderson ka at PACIFIC.NET
Wed Dec 10 21:57:03 GMT 2003

Pete wrote:

> Sorry i couldnt think of a better subject heading.
>
> I have had MS running now for a full month and it appears to be working
> perfectly - in our ORg we cannot be too agressive as false positives
> would a lot of criticsm, so i have used almost defaults settings, but we
> get no UCEs delivered to staff or students and have had only one false
> positive so far.
>
> We have 600-700 mail accounts but only recieve 1500 emails a day %30
> being spam.
>
> I have noticed on these forums a lot of people spending a lot of time
> changing settings, adding RBLs, upgrading every new release or beta and
> i wanted to know what benifits these folks recieves vs thier effort -
> its starting to make me feel like i shouold be upgrading to latest too -
> except i dont want to have my head buried in MS config every day for the
> next month - i thought this and install, config and forget type system,
> which is how i have been treating it (though i check quarrantine daily
> at the momment), are you guys getting some benifit that i am not, or is
> because you ahve far greater volumes of mail that you get more spam
> through MS aqnd have to work harder to stop it?
>
> I suppose its my cautious, no downtime nature that keeps us a few
> versions behind with alsmot all of my systems...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "The squeaky wheel gets the
grease" and other similar sayings apply to most open source software and
related email lists respectively.

MailScanner is a great piece of software, and your experience is a good
testimony to that. The list is populated by people who love this stuff,
love adding features and making tweaks to make MS work better in a given
environment. If you have a problem, you can find the answer here.

Sometimes it's necessary to make performance tweaks, but it's probably a
waste of your time if you are just scanning 1500 emails a day.

We scan 600,000 messages a day using 2 machines and get about 50% spam.
Performance tweaks are important! But, we don't upgrade unless there's a
new feature in MS we need, a new SA version.

Ken A.
Pacific.Net