Postfix Question

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Dec 9 21:12:40 GMT 2003

Mike Kercher wrote:

>Ok...I was up until 3am working on this, but started getting foggy :)
>
>I have several domains that I scan mail for and pass on to other mail
>servers.  Other domains are delivered locally.  I have successfully gotten
>one domain to scan and forward on to another mail server.  I can also scan
>and deliver a domain locally.  The problem is this:
>
>I made SO many changes to my configs along the way that I'm not sure which
>ones made things work!  Again, this is my first REAL experience with
>postfix, so a little guidance would be appreciated.  I'd be happy to take
>this off the list if someone is willing to help me.
>
>I've created an /etc/postfix/transport|virtual, an
>/etc/postfix.in/transport|virtual  Which one belongs where?
>
>Mike

I have 2 virtual domains - i have made these changes to
/etc/postfix.in/main.cf (incoming) and /etc/postfix.main.cf (outgoing)
created /etc/postfix/transport and /etc/postfix.in/relay - these changes
block all mail not addressed to *@domain1.com.au and *@domain2.com.au
and deliver to the SMTP server for each domain, after scanning etc has
occured. It works flawlessly and i am very new to postfix and
mailscanner too.

You can make a bundle of other changes and have all kinds of security
and relay/user options, but start with these and get your set up working
- once working then begin to add stuff like RBL checking - if your site
is not hugely busy, just get SA tio do all the RBL checks and let MS use
these to score the mail, it much neater and simple and will work great,
i think i have 1 report of an actual spam message getting through this
system and almost no false positives now bayes is working - remember you
arent going to cure spam altogether (without getting false positives)
your goal should be to reduce spam and have a gateway system that
requires minimal maintenance.

/etc/postfix.in/main.cf   - Incoming
defer_transports = smtp local virtual relay
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_auth_destination,
reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_banner = $myhostname SMTP
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix.in
myhostname = mail01.mygatewaydomain.com.au
relay_domains = /etc/postfix.in/relay
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

/etc/postfix.in/relay   - Incoming
domain1.com.au
domain2.com.au

/etc/postfix/main.cf   - Outgoing
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

/etc/postfix/transport   - Outgoing
domain1.com.au                  smtp:192.64.54.20
domain2.com.au                 smtp:192.64.54.15