AOL blocking MailScanner messages!

Res res at AUSICS.NET
Fri Dec 5 22:20:31 GMT 2003

Jeff,

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Y'all,
>    I ran Rickert's sendmail ruleset for about 6 hours yesterday, then
> removed it and looked at the 500 sendmail rejects that it generated
> for the "Fix reverse DNS" error.  I rejected emails from 364 unique
> IP numbers.  I wrote a script to do a whois on these numbers and the
> info was ugly.  Yes I was rejecting probable spam from APNIC, but I
> also zapped a lot of stuff from other universities, McGraw-Hill books
> and other publishers, Amazon (the original spammers!), IBM, the FAA (!),
> etc.  I expect to hear some screaming about my experiment.
>
> While I think this is a great idea in theory, in practice it does a
> lot of collateral damage.  I'll let AOL reform the world before

Can you explain why we should operate non compliant mail servers? JUST to
get mail from other non complaint mail servers?

Sure, RFC1912 is not law, but its there and its there for a good reason,
so do we now start to ignore other RFC's ? or just the ones we dont like?

When these people get all there bounced mails they soon get the picture,
complain to their IT unit who in turn should get off there lazy asses and
fix what should have been setup correctly in the first place!
There are just too many lazy incompetant idiots in the IT industry.

--
Regards,
Res