AOL blocking MailScanner messages!

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri Dec 5 12:37:14 GMT 2003

Y'all,
   I ran Rickert's sendmail ruleset for about 6 hours yesterday, then
removed it and looked at the 500 sendmail rejects that it generated
for the "Fix reverse DNS" error.  I rejected emails from 364 unique
IP numbers.  I wrote a script to do a whois on these numbers and the
info was ugly.  Yes I was rejecting probable spam from APNIC, but I
also zapped a lot of stuff from other universities, McGraw-Hill books
and other publishers, Amazon (the original spammers!), IBM, the FAA (!),
etc.  I expect to hear some screaming about my experiment.

While I think this is a great idea in theory, in practice it does a
lot of collateral damage.  I'll let AOL reform the world before
trying it again.  They will have to convince AT&T (for one) to change
their DNS for their subblocks.

--- Jeff Earickson
    Colby College