False positives

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Dec 2 23:21:43 GMT 2003

At 05:16 PM 12/2/2003, Kevin Hanser wrote:
>Look like spamcop.net is saying it's spam:

>         required 5, BAYES_00, USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST)
>
>That first part that says "spam, spamcop.net" means that spamcop thinks
>it's spam.  I don't really know how spamcop decides something is spam,
>however...

Spamcop is a straight "IP address block list" system.

It's a semi-automated system based on spamtraps, and a few other things.

206.16.1.138 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=206.16.1.138

 From the looks of it, one of the spamcop spamtraps is subscribed to the
CNN mailing lists.

Due to the way modern virii work, it's common for such accidental
subscribes to occur if a mailing list simply subscribes *anyone* who sends
*any* email to a given address. Of course, any smart system should require
at _least_ something like "subscribe" in the subject, and really should do
confirmed opt-in.