Upgrade Advice

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Dec 1 19:13:15 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 18:45, Christian Campbell wrote:

> Looking for advice as to the best way to upgrade both MS and SA.

I would not do both upgrades at the same time (actually thats not
completely true - I probably would do it but then I'm a fool).  So if
you have problems you'll know which upgrade caused them.  I'd suggest
upgrading MailScanner first when doing any upgrade [newer versions of
external programs are more likely to cause problems for mailscanner that
the other way around].  Remember that upgrade_MailScanner_conf is your
friend.

Once you're sure all is well with MS then upgrade SA.  Turn off
spamassassin in MailScanner (don't forget to restart MailScanner after
changing the config file).  rpm -e spamassassin, build and install the
new version from the tarfile (follow the docs on the MailScanner site
rather than the SA install docs, you'll save yourself some work).  Then
turn spamassassin back on.