was blank, now Clam autoupdate, add f-prot

Sun Aug 31 15:01:21 IST 2003

On Sunday 31 August 2003 2:43 pm, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

> It's all coming back to me, sort of. The firewall supports both active and
> passive ftp for incoming, but I can't figure out a way to support it for
> outgoing. With passive mode, you tell the ftp server which ports to use and
> then you open those ports in the firewall. I can do this for the servers
> inside the firewall. For the reverse, I would need to know which ports the
> server (at f-prot.com, for example) used for passive transfers in order to
> open those ports. I don't have that information.

Ugh.   What sort of firewall is this?   Sounds like a simple packet filter
with no stateful inspection.   You might want to look at upgrading that
sometime.   Non-stateful packet filters tend to fall into two categories:
insecure or inconvenient (fortunately it sounds as though yours is the
latter).

Glad to know we seem to have narrowed down on the problem though.

Antony

--

Documentation is like sex:
when it's good, it's very very good;