was blank, now Clam autoupdate, add f-prot

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sun Aug 31 14:43:41 IST 2003

It's all coming back to me, sort of. The firewall supports both active and
passive ftp for incoming, but I can't figure out a way to support it for
outgoing. With passive mode, you tell the ftp server which ports to use and
then you open those ports in the firewall. I can do this for the servers
inside the firewall. For the reverse, I would need to know which ports the
server (at f-prot.com, for example) used for passive transfers in order to
open those ports. I don't have that information.

Sure enough, when I start up an ftp session to an external server, just
hitting ls gets me "227 Entering Passive Mode" and then just sits there
forever.

Van

Kevin Spicer wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 13:02, Antony Stone wrote:
>
> >Or else try adding "--passive-ftp" to the wget command?
>
> >A firewall which can't support active ftp would certainly account for
> >the
> >sort of timeouts being reported.   This sounds like a reasonably likely
> >cause
> >to me.
>
> Yes, except the ftp transactions which are failing are using passive
> mode.  It appears that only the one that doesn't is failing!  Which is
> weird, so its probably not related to that.  Its certainly worth trying
> ftp from the command line to see if the behavior can be replicated
> though.
>
> BMRB International
> http://www.bmrb.co.uk
> +44 (0)20 8566 5000
> This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the
> recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged
> material.  If you have received this in error, please contact the
> sender and delete this message immediately.  Disclosure, copying
> or other action taken in respect of this email or in
> reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB International Limited
> accepts no liability in relation to any personal emails, or
> content of any email which does not directly relate to our
> business.

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,