ANNOUNCE: Stable 4.23-10 released

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 31 12:31:48 IST 2003

At 12:00 31/08/2003, you wrote:
>On Sunday 31 August 2003 11:52 am, Julian Field wrote:
>
> > P.S. If you are interested in blocking messages based on their text
> > content, please contact me.
>
>Yes, I'm interested to know what thoughts you have regarding this - I'm
>interested in being able to catch emails containing certain words or phrases,
>but not necessarily by putting them into SpamAssassin and ending up with the
>mail being labelled as spam.

Add this lot to your MailScanner.conf file.

# Configuration directory containing files related to MCP
# (Text Content Protection)
%mcp-dir% = /etc/MailScanner/mcp

#
# MCP (Text Content Protection)
# -----------------------------
#
# This scans text and HTML messages segments for any banned text, using
# a 2nd copy of SpamAssassin to provide the searching abilities.
# This 2nd copy has its own entire set of rules, preferences and settings.
#

MCP Checks = no

MCP Required SpamAssassin Score = 1
MCP High SpamAssassin Score = 10
MCP Error Score = 1

MCP Header = X-MailScanner-MCPCheck:
Non MCP Actions = deliver
MCP Actions = deliver
High Scoring MCP Actions = deliver

Is Definitely MCP = no
Is Definitely Not MCP = no
Definite MCP Is High Scoring = no
Always Include MCP Report = no
Detailed MCP Report = yes
Include Scores In MCP Report = no
Log MCP = yes

MCP Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20
MCP Max SpamAssassin Size = 100000
MCP SpamAssassin Timeout = 10

MCP SpamAssassin Prefs File = %mcp-dir%/mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf
MCP SpamAssassin User State Dir =
MCP SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
MCP SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
MCP SpamAssassin Install Prefix = %mcp-dir%
Sender MCP Report = %report-dir%/sender.mcp.report.txt

If you look in /etc/MailScanner/mcp you will find a sample rule file which
you can add to or replace with your own rules.

Basically what happens is that it is another call to SpamAssassin, but this
time using a completely customised ruleset and a separate set of actions.
Without any of the RBL checks, Bayes, etc of course. This means that you
can create your own rules and give them whatever score you like. Then take
various different actions depending on the score.

The "MCP Error Score" setting is there so that you can choose what happens
if the MCP system fails for some unknown reason. Set it to 0 and failure
will cause mail to be delivered as normal, but a high score would make it
get stopped (assuming you set "High Scoring MCP Actions" appropriately.

The other settings you will recognise from the SpamAssassin spam detection.

Let me know what you think, and any ideas for changes or improvements are
very welcome.
--
Julian Field