was blank, now Clam autoupdate, add f-prot

Carlo Malfatti carlo.m at INFINITO.IT
Sat Aug 30 14:17:20 IST 2003

Il sab, 2003-08-30 alle 14:11, Kevin Spicer ha scritto:
> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 06:43, G. Armour Van Horn wrote: Well, neither of
> >my virus definitions were being updated on my MailScanner 4.23-9
> >system. Not a crisis, since there aren't any users on there yet, but I
> >want to get it working so I can start the switch early next week.
>
> >I have the cron job running that the RPM installed, and it's sending me
> >mail every hour saying that it worked. It lies.
>
> Nope, its just not very clear.  It tells you it found f-prot / clam and
> its updating them [by which it means it is running the updater].
>
> Julian, perhaps the "Updating $NAME" should be changed to "Running
> ${NAME}-autoupdate" just to avoid any confusion n future?
>
> You can see the output of the updater by looking in your maillog.  Try..
>
> grep -i f-prot /var/log/maillog      [Substitute the correct path/file!]
>
> This should help as the f-prot-autoupdate script catches quite a few
> errors.

Hi all,
in my system freshclam is installed under /usr/bin, while
clamav-autoupdate is looking for it under /usr/local/bin.
Even if the hourly cronjob was stating "updating" nothing was done as
the updater cannot be found.
To solve this I created a link with:
ln -s /usr/bin/freshclam /usr/local/bin/freshclam
and now it is really updating clamav.
Is this sufficient or is it better to directly modify the
clamav-autoupdate script?

Thanks,
Carlo