was blank, now Clam autoupdate, add f-prot

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sat Aug 30 06:43:57 IST 2003

Well, neither of my virus definitions were being updated on my MailScanner
4.23-9 system. Not a crisis, since there aren't any users on there yet, but I
want to get it working so I can start the switch early next week.

I have the cron job running that the RPM installed, and it's sending me mail
every hour saying that it worked. It lies.

Based on Miguel's post below, the clamav database is now being updated,
although it wasn't for the first week. As far as I can tell, there is no
difference in the mail whether it does anything or not.

On the same machine, where the cron job is telling me every hour that both
clamav and f-prot were updated, my f-prot definitions look like this (edited
to eliminate the non-definition files):

> [root at vanquish MailScanner]# ls -l /usr/local/f-prot/
> total 3464
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          286 Aug 23 23:31 MACRO.ASC
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       479225 Aug 23 23:31 MACRO.DEF
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          295 Aug 23 23:31 SIGN2.ASC
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       853556 Aug 23 23:31 SIGN2.DEF
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          295 Aug 23 23:31 SIGN.ASC
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1084992 Aug 23 23:31 SIGN.DEF

The current MACRO files are from the 25th, the SIGN files are from the 29th,
yet every hour root gets this mail:

> /etc/cron.hourly/update_virus_scanners:
>
>        Found clamav installed
>        Updating clamav
>        Found f-prot installed
>        Updating f-prot

Should I expect f-prot to suddenly start working next? And will it someday
decide to stop again and embarrass me? This is very nervous-making.

Van

Miguel Koren wrote:

> Kevin;
>
> You're absolutely right, I see that it's trying an update every
> hour and the last time it succeeded checks with the db date:
>
> Aug 28 17:01:06 rivendell ClamAV-autoupdate[29579]: ClamAV updated
>
> So, the conclusion I come to from this experience is that it's best for
> Mailscanner to start it. I use MS 4.22-5 (Clamav 0.60). Is the longer time
> out fix in 4-22 or 4-23?
>
> Someone mentioned html in the mails. Sorry about that. I suppose the mail
> client decided on it's own when I pasted the db date from the Clamav site.
>
> Miguel
>
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Kevin Spicer wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 21:41, Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy wrote: I have
> > >an update to this situation. I checked the actual db files (on 3
> > >servers):
> >
> > >-rw-r--r--    1 clamav   clamav    1319031 Aug 26 14:09 viruses.db
> > >-rw-r--r--    1 clamav   clamav      20802 Aug 28 17:01 viruses.db2
> >
> > >and I see that I do have the latest db, it's just not logged.
> >
> > Are you sure that MailScanner isn't running the updates too (the rpm
> > version does by default).  It should log the fact to your maillog.
>
> --
> Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
>  acredita-se estar livre de perigo.

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,