How To Use Archive Mail??

Evert Ford richard_cipher at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 28 21:53:26 IST 2003

Your rule points to a e-mail address.  It should point to an mbox-type file,
or a directory.  If it points to an mbox-type file the messages will be
archived in mbox format, and if it points to a directory, they will be
archived in the native format of your MTA(qf/df pairs in the case of
sendmail).

example:
in /etc/MailScanner/rules/monitor.rules would be something like

FromOrTo: *@domain.com /var/spool/MailScanner/archive/mydomainarchive

mydomainarchive is either an mbox-style file or a directory, depending on
what you want.

Archiving works in 4.x or greater and archiving in mbox format in 4.2x or
greater if memory serves me correctly.

Hope this helps,
Evert Ford
Computer Guy
Westone Laboratories
http://www.westone.com

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Jeremy Pirlet
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 2:10 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: How To Use Archive Mail??

Hi-

I have seen many posts on "Use Archive Mail", but I am not sure what I am
doing wrong, but I can't get it to work.

I host some websites where the owner would like me to monitor email in/out
of their domain.  This is to monitor employee's and to make sure they are
not doing things against company policy with their email of
employee at domain.com.

I have done this in MailScanner.conf:
Archive Mail = /etc/MailScanner/rules/monitor.rules

Then I edit that file (/etc/MailScanner/rules/monitor.rules) to look like
this:
FromOrTo: *@domain.com monitor at mydomain.com
default no

But email goes through without being forwarded.  I have tried to add
forward between the addresses, but that did nothing.  Can you please give
me more information on how to setup the ruleset to monitor only a specific
domain, both incoming and outgoing?  Thanks. Jeremy