Solaris syslog issues... Syslog.pm

Timothy VanFosson timv at CCAD.UIOWA.EDU
Thu Aug 28 19:22:17 IST 2003

At 02:12 PM 8/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>I've done some investigation and the problem appears to be with the
>Syslog.pm module that MailScanner uses.  The perl distributed by Sun is
>still 5.005_03 and if you look at the syslog.ph files and the syslog.h
>files you'll see that _PATH_LOG is not defined and thus with a default
>setsocket call from Syslog.pm of unix, it looks for that (on most boxes
>defined as /dev/log).  I've seen some chatter from searches giving some
>"fixes" for Perl 5.6 and above.

I just solved this problem today, as a matter of fact.  My solution was to
modify Syslog.pm to use /dev/log.un (my system is HP-UX, not Solaris)
instead of relying on _PATH_LOG.  Actually, I borrowed the code from
connect_stream for connect_unix -- with appropriate substitutions -- and
made a similar substitution to the relevant section of setlogsock.

One aside here, Julian --- I don't know if it HP-UX Perl, but when openlog
failed over to the console, I kept getting a log of defunct processes.
Somehow or another logging to the console caused the parent not to reap its
child processes correctly.  After I fixed Syslog.pm so that unix socket
logging worked properly, this behavior went away.

tv

Timothy VanFosson, Manager         E-mail: timv at ccad.uiowa.edu
Computing Services, Web Master    WWW: http://www.ccad.uiowa.edu/~timv/
Center for Computer-Aided Design   US Mail: The University of Iowa
Phone: (319) 335-6298                      208 ERF
FAX: (319) 384-0542                        Iowa City, Iowa 52242

What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit
his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?