how to set up an RBL

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Thu Aug 28 17:46:46 IST 2003

My problem with volunteering to take part in an RBL (speaking entirely as an
individual, not for my employer) is the potential for DDoS attacks (which
can cripple a company that depends upon its network pipes) and the potential
for lawsuits.  While I completely believe that lawsuits related to RBL lists
are groundless, fighting them still takes money.

So I'm pondering... how do you provide a network service on a public network
without opening it up to those who would attack it -- ie without even
letting them be aware of it or letting them determine its network address?

I'm imagining secret meetings to verify user identities and access lists to
allow only approved query sources (meaning they can more easily be pushed
out to an ISP's edge should a DDoS actually occur). :-)

I like the way spamcop seems to work - auto-remove a site after 2 days if it
hasn't been resubmitted - but I'd prefer a longer timeout since many MTAs
retry delivery for up to 5 days.

-t.