mailscanner 4.2x and postfix 2.0.14 do play well together

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 09:48:39 IST 2003

I wouldn't advise using Postfix with MailScanner either, due to lousy
performance. Because Postfix has 1 file per message, if you want to add a
single header you have to do all the I/O to copy the entire message,
including potentially 10s of Mbytes of body text.

With sendmail and Exim, the headers are kept in a separate file. This means
that when a message doesn't need its body altering (most messages don't)
then the body can be moved to the outgoing queue via a "link and delete"
operation which doesn't involve any I/O on the body of the message at all.

So sendmail and Exim are way faster with MailScanner, due to the I/O load
being a small fraction of what it is with Postfix.

I wrote support for Postfix because people wanted it, not because I thought
it was a good idea
:-)

--
Julian Field