mailscanner 4.2x and postfix 2.0.14 do play well together

Aviram Carmi avi at OTN.COM
Thu Aug 28 01:54:42 IST 2003

Hi all,

Since I am evaluating new mail servers (postfix and exim) and a
mailing list manager, I've been following discussion in the postfix
mailing list.

This is from the guy who developed postfix, recommending against
using mailscanner, replying to my query regarding postfix and
mailscanner:

At 18:54 -0400 08/27/2003, Wietse Venema wrote:
>Do not use mailscanner. This software accesses Postfix queue files
>directly.  This can result in message corruption.

and in a follow up, when I asked what he recommends:

At 20:02 -0400 08/27/2003, Wietse Venema wrote:

>There is plenty of choice.
>
>Choose a product that uses a well defined protocol such as SMTP or
>(command line + exit status). These products are more reliable,
>because they rely on protocols that are well defined. The protocols
>do not change, so the same scanner will work with multiple Postfix
>versions.
>
>Avoid scanner systems that depend on undocumented behavior. Such
>systems are less reliable, because they depend on internal details
>that are easily mis-understood.  Internal details will change, so
>the scanner that works with Postfix version X may very well be
>broken with Postfix version X+1.
>
>       Wietse

I am a novice with this, I hope it is OK to quote someone else's
replies to me...

-avi

--

Aviram Carmi
Owner

Over TheNet (R)
601 Daily Drive Suite #226
Camarillo, CA 93010-5840

http://www.otn.com/   Building Profitable Web Sites Today
(805) 384-1144 Voice  (805) 384-9111 FAX

(C) Copyright 2003, Over TheNet (R)  All rights reserved.