It seems that viruses CAN slip through MailScanner under high load!

Bret Hughes bhughes at ELEVATING.COM
Thu Aug 28 04:27:33 IST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 21:22, Mike Kercher wrote:
> I *think* you can tune sendmail so that if the system load reaches x.xx, it
> will stop accepting mail.  Might be worth looking into.  You might also
> consider lowering the number of messages MS works with per batch.  I believe
> the default is 100.  Try lowering that to say 30 or so.

Interesting thread.

This assumes that the problem was load (probably was I admit)  but what
about a case where there is an issue with the virus scanning software
that caused it to not return.  No idea what that might be but I am
supposing here.

Is there a way to have mailscanner not send messages if they are not
properly scanned (ie. timeout)?  To me, the damage associated with
allowing viruses through vastly outways the delay of mail.

Of course in a busy shop this could get wild in a hurry and some sort of
notification, bells, whistles, sirens etc should probably go off in case
no one is baby sitting the box.

Just thinking out loud here.

Bret