Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it c aptain! "

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at THENAP.COM
Wed Aug 27 20:36:15 IST 2003

Actually there are many hardware products (F5 boxen come to mind) that can
do load balancing via the 'net whilest being at different geographical
locations.

Thanks,
-Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Antony Stone [mailto:Antony at SOFT-SOLUTIONS.CO.UK]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 3:09 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it
c aptain! "

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 7:24 pm, Youn Gonzales wrote:

> Load balancing via DNS does not work very well at all.

Oh?   I thought round-robin DNS made sure that each client request coming in
to a DNS server got the addresses records in a different order, and clients
try to contact the first one they're given (unless it's uncontactable, in
which case they try the second, etc).

In what way does this system not work very well?   I've heard it recommended
several times for different services - mail, web, ftp - and as far as I know
that wasn't just because it's simple to set up.

I'm interested to know if there's some reason why this scheme results in a
noticeably more unbalanced load on the servers than can be achieved with
network hardware on an incoming link (which can only be used, of course, if
all the servers are on the same link at the same location, which in my
opinion has its own drawbacks, which don't apply to round-robin DNS...)

Regards,

Antony.

--

You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner

dangerous content by eNET's virus protection center,
and is believed to be clean.
http://www.ee.net