syslog: spamassasin and vira info goes to messages file rest goes to maillog file.

Kim Schulz kim at SCHULZ.DK
Wed Aug 27 20:31:28 IST 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:47:11 +0100
Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
> Read "man syslog.conf". You probably have something else containing
> mail stuff (or *.info or something like that) going to
> /var/log/messages. This is nothing to do with MailScanner, it's your
> syslog setup.

I have read the syslog.conf man serval times, and it says that mail is
the one for mail info. the one that catches mailscanners log is *.info
but that shouldnt happen because I have mail.none after. like:

*.info;mail.none                /var/log/messages

mail.*                          /var/log/mail

according to the man-pages, this should be wrong and it works with all
mailprograms (like sendmail, exim, qpopper etc) except for mailscanner.
Mailscanner shows it startup info in maillog and then it starts putting
all it's info into the messages file insted.
This makes it impossible to make statistics and stuff like that.