[fw-wiz] Stop Using relays.osirusoft.com *NOW*! (fwd)

Christopher Hicks chicks at CHICKS.NET
Wed Aug 27 03:37:14 IST 2003

FYI.

--
</chris>

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It
will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:00:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jim Seymour <jseymour at LinxNet.com>
To: firewall-wizards at honor.icsalabs.com
Subject: [fw-wiz] Stop Using relays.osirusoft.com *NOW*!

This relates more the mail admin, than firewall admin, but many of us
wear many hats and this one is pretty important--being as the DNSbl in
question is (was?) one of the most widely-used ones on the 'net.

As many of your *should* be aware: relays.osirusoft.com has been
experiencing problems.  As of today, ISPs began reporting that
non-dialup, dedicated circuits were apparently being reported by
relays.osirusoft.com as dialups.

Curious, I checked my business DSL circuit's IP address.  (Note that
my ISP sells no dialup, or even dynamic DSL.)

$ rblcheck -lt
64.32.196.134
64.32.196.134 : relays.osirusoft.com : listed
    "Please stop using relays.osirusoft.com"

Somebody checked, and it looks like relays.osirusoft.com has a "*"
wildcard entry to 127.0.0.2 for all zones.  This means that *every*
IP address checked against *any* relays.osirusoft.com zone will
show up as a "hit."  If you reject on any of those zones, you'll
reject everything, from every host.

Anybody who is still using relays.osirusoft.com had maybe better stop
doing so.  Immediately.

Yes, I recognize the irony in trying to get the word out via email ;).

--
Jim Seymour                          | "Some of the lies are so strange it
jseymour at LinxNet.com                 |  makes you wonder about the spammer's