Disable filename/filetype checking?

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Tue Aug 26 12:38:56 IST 2003

Julian Field wrote:
> Put a rule at the top of each of the rules that says
> allow   .       -       -
> That will allow everything.
>
> You had better trust that Sophos's updates don't ever miss a brand new
> virus in the first few hours of its spread. They are there as another
> line of defence.

Seconded!
MailScanner caught nearly 1000 copies of Sobig-F before I got the Sophos
update around the mail servers because we don't allow .pif or .scr.

I have to say that I'm not using the filetype stuff because we haven't
got an official policy to block executables and other stuff but I
wouldn't be without a block on .pif etc! (We allow .exe)

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"