MailScanner doesn't deal with lousy internet

Alisdair Davey ard at pergamentum.com
Tue Aug 26 05:17:32 IST 2003

You could do but I don't think this is a wise move. It used to be that I
never saw half the virii on the net and could update once a day and not
worry. Now I think updating your virus scanner any less than once an
hour is not a good idea. I've had one virus that I saw before the virus
scanner update was available (I use Sophos) but thanks to MailScanner it
was blocked. I have have virii arrive now 23 and 37 minutes after the
virus scanner was updated. My first sobig-f being 37 minutes after I got
a Sophos update for it. A little shell programming will enable you to
check for old update scripts. Better to do that and check for updates
every hour than lowering the update schedule to nightly.
Cheers
Alisdair

Dr Alisdair Davey                                 ard at pergamentum.com
Pergamentum Solutions                             Tel: 1-303-554-9190
2066 Dailey Ln
Superior, CO 80027