MailScanner doesn't deal with lousy internet

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Tue Aug 26 04:50:42 IST 2003

You could move the update_virus_scanners script from /etc/cron.hourly to
/etc/cron.daily

-----Original Message-----
Of Chris Mason
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 9:55 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: MailScanner doesn't deal with lousy internet

One of my servers is on a DSL from Cable & Wireless and they are having
problems with the gateway. We are seeing periods of packet loss and outages
as they try to fix it, and it's been going on for a couple of days now. The
server is running Redhat 7.3 and MailScanner with SA and ClamAV/F-Prot. I
found today that mail had not been delivered for hours so I checked the
server and found that the scripts that updated the virus databases had
locked up. Restarting MailScanner did not fix it and only killing the
offending PIDs solved it. Is there a way to improve this situation? I would
like to lower the update schedule to nightly so as to lessen the chance of
this happening. Is there a way to kill off any update scripts with the old
MailScanner process?

Chris Mason