Effective virus scanners

Miguel Koren miguelk at KONSULTEX.COM.BR
Sun Aug 24 17:06:06 IST 2003

Chris;

I have a similar combination on 3 servers right now (no spam checking). I
found it very easy to install and configure and apparently it works great.

I just have some doubts about the scanning effectiveness but all the
testing I've done shows that the combination works fine. The virus list,
though, has about 10 times less definitions than commercial scanners. I
suppose this is not a big problem because older viruses are not that
likely but it is a point worth thinking about. I think there are some
other 'free' scanners but I would go the Clam route because it is Open
Source and if you really need to you can see what it does. I'm not saying
that it is something you would normally do!

I did notice though that 'freshclam' dies sometimes. I was not able to
find a reason so far nor if it is a known problem. This happens on Redhat
7.3 and Redhat 9.

Miguel

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.