Empty emails

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 24 12:06:10 IST 2003

At 01:01 24/08/2003, you wrote:
> > Date:    Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:26:07 +0100
> > From:    Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
> > Subject: Re: Empty emails
> >
> > Are these emails from Sobig-F? If so, don't worry this is normal.
>

>No such luck.  It seem random, and occurs with legitimate emails.  I'll
>receive an email from someone, along with a second 1 or 2k email with the
>header only - no body.  And it doesn't happen for all emails.
> >
> > At 18:03 23/08/2003, you wrote:
> >> Greetings all.
> >>
> >> I recently installed MailScanner to combat the flood of virii coursing
> >> around the net.  Now I'm seeing a strange phenomenon.  I often get two
> email
> >> from a person.  One is the actual email, the other is a blank message with
> >> just the header.  This seems to be linked to MailScanner.
> >>
> >> I am running the latest version, along with postfix under SunOS9.  Any
> >> thoughts?

Make sure you have killed off all your original postfix processes before
starting everything up for MailScanner. Having 2 programs delivering from
the same queue would cause behaviour like this. Your original postfix
processes could be trying to deliver the message before MailScanner has
finished writing the body of the message.
--
Julian Field